ParamTables and PageTables

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:10/17/1998; 9:34:01 AM
Topic:Suggestion: Explore the Calendar

This could be the name of a new company!

Hey, if you've been doing programming in websites in Frontier, you know about pageTables.

And if you've been doing CGIs in Frontier, you know about paramTables.

Each of them is a collection of strings and addresses and a few numbers that completely describe a process.

In the first case, the process is rendering a page. In the second case, it represents the process of responding to a HTTP request.

So, in 5.1, when the Betty server framework was finalized, these two creatures met, and mated and had an offspring that had the traits of both page and paramtables.

That's what make .wsf pages so powerful. They act like CGIs but they render like a page on any Frontier website.

So, this morning I'm writing about this stuff, and I thought it would be neat to have a page I could go to that would show me in real-time, what the page/paramtable for the request looks like. I spent about an hour studying this. It's very interesting! Have a look yourself:

http://nirvana.userland.com/docs.root/tricks/paramtableviewer

Later!

Dave