Re: Two Wishlist Items and jarring my thoughts

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:11/10/1998; 12:20:06 PM
Topic:First message

On the first wish, "A common cross-platform scripting API": Isn't DAV the extended file system that should deal with server side storage of scripts and objects?

I think a scripting API is more than a way to store scripts. Scripts written in one language need to be able to call scripts written in another language as easily as they can call other scripts written in the same language. The main difficulty is translating types; luckily most scripting languages have similar types: integers, strings, tables/dictionaries, etc.

On a LAN I think XML-RPC is a fine solution to this, but on one machine something more lightweight like AppleEvents or BMessages is needed for performance. The downside to that is that it might have to be specified separately for each OS.