Re: AOL Acquires Netscape

Author:Robert Occhialini
Posted:11/24/1998; 7:56:20 PM
Topic:AOL Acquires Netscape

In the conference call, they must have said ten times that, if they want AOL's shortcut on the Windows default desktop, then they need to continue bundling IE as their default browser. It seems to me that they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this, but I understand their motivation. They also may have been trying to make a point vis a vis the anit-trust case: We even own competing software but we are forced to use IE in order to get desktop space.

Perhaps we are all too caught up in browser market share, but as a Web developer, you can't help but be ensnared by it. If standards were properly implemented across the great divide, then it would matter that much less to me.