Re: See 'WannaBe' for speed

Author:John Buddington
Posted:12/1/1998; 1:47:42 AM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

I use my browser to read the daily news, both from commercial newspapers and sites like Scripting News. I want speed without getting a 56k modem. I don't need images.

I want a browser which can operate in a "stripped-down" mode, or perhaps many stripped down modes, so that I can progressively discard bells and whistles until I get to a comfortable response time.

WannaBe (first referenced in Scripting News) is stripped down and works fast. For example, the Mac Resource Page today was ready to view in 5 seconds with WannaBe. MS Explorer took 18 seconds. It could use some more features, but it demonstrates (a) the possibilities, and (b) the terrible performance of Netscape and Explorer.

WannaBe doesn't have See: http://pluto.njcc.com/~dtp/wb2/wannabe.html