Re: Thin Clients, Linux, and BeOS

Author:Chris Hanson
Posted:12/10/1998; 9:48:08 PM
Topic:Thin Clients, Linux, and BeOS

The GNUstep project <http://www.gnustep.org/> is also trying to build a good application framework for Linux.

The advantage that GNUstep enjoys is that its developers are duplicating something that's already been done well once -- NeXT's OpenStep -- and have also set out to recreate NeXT's extremely well-thought-out user experience. Sure, it's not as far along as KDE or GNOME (yet), but it's making rapid progress and its elegant design gves it significant ease-of-implementation advantages. Also, MacOS X developers seem really positive on using it to port their applications to Linux.

I've used Macintosh, NeXT, Be, Windows NT, SGI, and generic X Window System-based Unix (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, SunOS, Ultrix, Linux) systems. Their usability descends in that order. I regret never having used a Symbolics or TI Explorer Lisp Machine, or an Apollo DomainOS workstation as I've heard very good things about all of them.