Re: A better web app client!

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:12/12/1998; 1:58:18 PM
Topic:What if there were a third browser?

The communications part seems easy; it's the UI part that I'm worried about. HTML and CSS seems like a pretty good way to do the UI for documents, but as you pointed out it breaks down for apps. Unfortunately, it seems like apps don't have nearly as much in common as documents do. What's wrong with Java? (Besides the slowness; in my experience JavaScript is even slower.)

The next generation of HTTP (HTTP-NG) is being optimized for Web apps; it may end up being pretty similar to CORBA.

(Hey Dave, there's a bug in here where it's eating plus symbols...)