user.betty.rpcHandlers.userland

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/12/1998; 8:45:26 PM
Topic:New sample bits

Overview This is a table containing a single XML-RPC handler, receiveEnclosure. This is the workstation side of the new Discussion Group feature that allows you to receive a bit of sample code from this server without having to save a file on your hard disk. The server sends the enclosure directly to the RPC handler running in Frontier on your machine, and after confirmation, installs it in your object database. Try it out Here are a few pages that have enclosures:
  1. A little black and white picture of a baby.
  2. A table of pictures.
  3. A small Frontier suite.
To install, click on the link, then click on the RPC link on the page to have the enclosure sent to your workstation. Caveats Note that Frontier must be running as a web server on the same machine you're browsing from. Further, Frontier must be running on port 80. We will make this a preference soon, but it's not there yet. Try it out with any page that contains an enclosure, except this page. If you try to RPC the enclosure of this page you'll get an error unpacking because the script overwrites itself. It took me a while to figure out that this is what was happening to me, it causes no harm but it can be confusing. If you have trouble, please don't send me email, post a message as a response to this message, and also have a look to see what's here before posting. Thanks!