Focus on results

Author:John W. Williams II
Posted:12/15/1998; 11:33:54 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

The Clinton issue is a difficult division, on which I can find myself leaning to either side on any given day, depending on whose spin I am listening to.

I decided to focus on the results I'd like to see out of the resolution of this problem, rather than on whose side I'd like to be.

1) Clinton must be severely punished for his foolish, irresponsible acts. If he is not impeached (perhaps he shouldn't be -- see 2) ) then he must be punished when he leaves office. It should be well established that he leaves a shameful legacy as a President who, while he achieved many great things, let down his country in a few irresponsible acts. Basically: Any future President must be strongly discouraged from this behavior. (I don't think anyone would disagree with me here.)

2) The Republicans must not be rewarded for using the Indepenent counsel system as a political tool to gain power. I'm not quite sure how the best way to achieve this is, but not impeaching Clinton is a start. The poor performance of Republicans in recent elections is also a good sign that America doesn't want to reward the Republicans either (I hope.)

3) I don't want (high level) leaders who indulge in careless sexual daliances (mutual or abusive) because it makes the leader vulnerable (think JFK having relations with the mistress of a mafia boss) and it makes the country vulnerable (if not from someone influencing the President, then from the national media circus and wasted congressional time pursuing the issue.) The arguement that this was just "a mutual sexual liason which is nobody's business" is almost believable until you attach the level of responsibility and authority that goes with being President, and then it just doesn't work. I'd rather political parties not use this kind of issue as a wedge to drive opponents from power; I wish we could give the President this level of privacy and not have to know about his sexuality, but if it comes to the light of day, it is definitely relevant to his ability to lead.