Re: People With Minds

Author:Steve Ivy
Posted:12/22/1998; 8:03:31 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Dave-

Thanks again for extending the invitation for us to stop being lazy and start thinking.

I find scripting.com to be an interesting nexus of thinkers. Very little of the content here is placebo, which is what to much of the media is feeding us these days. Between Scripting News, the Discussion Group, and the non-Userland mailing lists (Script Meridian's), I get a dose of other people's thoughts to measure against my own.

I, too, followed the House debates on Saturday, and believe that many of the Democrats should have brought their minds to the House floor. I heard a lot of yelling, and little real debate from them. It was a bit like a one-sided flame war- and we've seen in the online community how useful those are. I heard as much heart, and more mind, coming from the other side of the aisle that day. I think that's sad, because even though I am a long time conservative, I think having a two party system brings some form of balance to our government... When one side gives up thinking and only expresses their changing feelings (and loudly!) something in our great system is lost.

I agree with the Republicans in the House, but hope the Democrats begin bringing their minds as well as the hearts to the debates of our time.

--Steve

p.s. A note about polls: during the debate, J.C. Watts (R- Oklahoma) made a great point- polls are a measure of changing feelings; the polls would have rejected the Ten Commandments, embraced slavery, and ridiculed women's rights. We should beware trusting polls or the "will of the people" as necessarily being the Right Thing(tm) to do.