Re: People With Minds

Author:Steven Gilman
Posted:12/22/1998; 10:48:45 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

It's amusing for me to read how 'objective' republican minds seem, from an acknowledged conservative. What troubles me is how rational this all sounds. Flipping back from heart to mind, alleging heart, yet going with what seems most comfortable.

A little about polls. When the polls clearly state an overiding perception, an argument comes about that pur 'wise' leaders are making the neccessary and difficult decisions against the will of 'the people' (whoever they, or us, are). However, some polls are relevent. Like the voting poll, where we did elect, by popular vote, the president. And the current polls seem to clearly recertify that election. Or the voting polls that recently changed some of the flavor of the house. Yet these polls too, seem to be disregarded.

So, do we simply do away with all polls, including voting, and leave our future in the hands of those who self-described, know best?

I'm concerned about the fundamentalist influence here and those who would like all of us, especially our leaders, to be resurrected Jesus's & Moses'. Of course, Moses did not get to enter the promised land. However, that was an executive decision.

While I'm not particularly a 'liberal', I would have liked to see the democratic side do something even more dramatic. Like walk out of what was essentially a pre-ordained outcome, regardless of debate. Impeachment has been an objective for the past six years.

Steven