Re: People With Minds

Author:Alex Burgel
Posted:12/22/1998; 9:11:49 PM
Topic:DaveNet comments

Hi dave,

i agree with a lot of what your saying. i didn't grow up in the 60's, but i have studied it a bit.

it seems one of the biggest (and possibly worst) effects of the counter culture movement was that the government learned what they did wrong and how they alienated all those people. but instead of fixing the problem, they just covered it up better. you said that we learned to tune out, but they also helped us tune out. if they wanted us to become involved, they could do it. but they don't because whatever happens in the elections, its always a democrat or a republican, so why should they fix it and risk losing their power?

i was against impeachment for the simple reason that i don't think that what he did should get him kicked out. it was wrong, it was despicable, but i didn't really have any illusions about what people in washington are like (and i probably would have done the same thing). i think clinton should have been impeached for a bunch of other things, notably the communications decency act, which was quickly declared unconstitutional (its funny how passing an unconstitutional law isn't seen as such a horrible thing).

for me, it was sort of a let down that ken starr didn't find anything with white water or the other conspiracy things. because that would have cut a big whole right through all this BS.

all that happens now is that we retain our dignity for punishing such a vile man. the whole political game continues, another demo-republicrat gets into office. only now, they better not lie about sex or we'll get them too.

but they can still lie about (or at least not mention) secret government operations that have far more effect on our lives than whoever clinton sleeps with.

alex