Re: People With Minds

Author:Stephen B. Waters
Posted:12/23/1998; 7:45:20 AM
Topic:DaveNet comments

I tumbled across a subordinate clause in a sentence by historian Page Smith the other day. Almost a throw-away remark. Almost unnecessary/ Yet it brings you up short. It nailed to the page why it is essential to "bring your mind to the web" at this pivotal time.

In the clause, Page Smith observed that "Since man is not, except fitfully, a rational animal…."

Our job is to encourage it to happen more often. The people's business -- education -- is to refine the ability to manage symbols and metaphors. Those skills are at risk.

Long ago it did not matter. Buffered by distance, limited communications, and poor science, most people were protected from abuse by others. Now any mean punk in the farthest corner of the world can threaten our children. We're in a race -- and there is no guarantee civilization will win.

Fortunately, with new insights and old wisdom we can stitch together compelling demonstrations why it is in others' self-interest to choose to live under a shared umbrella of civil behavior. And in cases where that doesn't work, to stiffen the resolve against those who chose not to.

My 24 Hours Essay was one of those Simple Wisdom insights. We'll add more as we bring our minds to the web.

-- regards/sbw