virgin.root

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/26/1999; 8:56:39 AM
Topic:Documenting The ODB

OK, here's a little bit of show-off, and something that could stimulate an interesting discussion of how to go about documenting all the stuff that ships in a virgin Frontier.root:

http://nirvana.userland.com/virgin.root/

I just downloaded a Trial version, pulled out its Frontier.root, renamed its system table to syxtem (so it wouldn't interfere with the server) and dropped it in the www sub-folder of the Nirvana Server folder on 206.204.24.20. It took about three minutes from beginning to end. (Nirvana is cool!)

Ooops. I forgot to add a #allowScriptListings, set to true; and #allowScriptsToRun set to false. There may be other things I forgot to do.

Anyway, I was thinking that I could write a script that traveled over this root and created a DG message for each table (it would be a separate DG, not discuss.userland.com). That way each entry in the odb could be the starting point for information gathering. An answer to the "Where does it go?" question for each odb location.

But that's just one idea. Hope this is good fertilizer.. (I know it is.)