Re: Jini Jini Jini (Zzzzz?)

Author:Paul Haahr
Posted:1/26/1999; 4:51:23 PM
Topic:Jini Jini Jini (Zzzzz?)

Jini uses RMI, which uses TCP, which uses IP. Of course, to use IP you have to have an IP address. As far as I can tell, Jini claims that devices can recognize each other as soon as they are plugged in, but I don't see how IP addresses are assigned.

I believe that Jini is independent of underlying protocols. That is, it can use TCP/IP, but it can also use other protocols (the standard demo uses some non-IP radio or IR protocols), and does, I think, use UDP broadcast or multicast for service discovery and announcement.