Re: Open source English dictionary?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:1/31/1999; 6:27:25 AM
Topic:Open source English dictionary?

Your site can cough up a word out of one of the public domain lists for which there isn't a definition yet.

Chuck, this is the part that's unclear to me. Where are the public domain word lists?

Further, who is running Dictionary.com? Their dictionary has gotten quite good. Is there some way to leverage off its existence? (Probably not, their license is very restrictive.)

I was thinking of having an XML-RPC server where people shoot text at us and we do the kind of stuff that the MSGSPELL guy did. To get something like this bootstrapped we need a server somewhere that we can shoot words at. This sounds like a fun project. (Yeah I need another one of those!)