Broadband applications

Author:Marc Canter
Posted:3/2/1999; 8:43:41 AM
Topic:Snappy!

There are so many different ways to use Broadband - it's staggering. But we're stuck in a catch-22 state right now - and will be for alogn time as long as the set top box folks still push their proprietary closed box mentality.

Here's a few things to think about:

1. First huge breakthrough - get rid of pages! I don't mean the pages themselves - or the HTML legacy we'll have to be carrying around the rest of our lives, but the concept of everything having to fit into a scrolling page. IE5 allows us to build true applications with memory and cache control, XSL object orientation, etc.

2. Video , video and more video. Did I say video? TV commercials - full screen. On-line live help operators - talk to a human who looks and sounds like a human, not some postage stamp. Video screen savers. Video content, video commentary (isn't that called TV?) Video weblogs (isn't that called David Letterman?)

3. Rocking the house, head thumping, twirl your pencil and go dance the fox trot - music. And I don;t mean - through a tin can either!

4. New types of tools, collaboration, work at home, biz and educational info, the list goes on and on.

All these things are possible with Broadband.