Re: Linux GUI

Author:Hannes Wallnöfer
Posted:3/4/1999; 7:43:23 AM
Topic:DHTML MTTF!

The real issue (which is rapidly disappearing) is as the news.com story said: the C library. If you link against libc5 (the older C library) then you'll have problems on newer machines.

There are solutions to this problem, too. For example, SuSE 6.0 contains a package called shlibs5 that lets users run older applications and seems to run quite well.

What I find a bit strange is that none of the GNOME articles linked from Scripting News mentions KDE. From my point of view, KDE is the standard Linux Desktop. It has huge developer and user bases, is the standard Desktop for SuSE and other distributions, has lots of applications, and since Qt (the toolkit on which KDE is based) went open source, GNOME's main reason for existance seems to have become a bit stale.