Re: Linux GUI

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:3/4/1999; 1:20:33 PM
Topic:DHTML MTTF!

This is going to sound like a cop out, but I'm a better critic than I am a designer. I can point out some bad examples of tabbed dialogs (MS Word's preferences spring to mind, especially how the categories bounce around when you choose one of them.)

All I know to do is look at examples of uncluttered preference panels and imitate them. Newswatcher (on the mac) is an example of a program that I feel has sweated the details to a point that most of it is very well thought out.

I haven't had a chance to play with the dhtml version of your site, so I'm not sure I have the whole picture. I would start by rethinking the use of a tabbed dialog inside of a tabbed dialog.

Perhaps some sort of collapsing outline control would be appropriate?

eric