Re: re-meet to get consensus

Author:Bill Seitz
Posted:3/8/1999; 3:09:03 PM
Topic:Technography, Knowledge Management and Frontier

I think you hit the nail on the head by thinking that this has to be a synchronous process. Otherwise I think it requires a nazi-like facilitator to keep making assumptions explicit and challengeable.

So I think you essentially have a review/consensus meeting where you re-summarize as a group everything that's been covered by posted forum discussions.

You start out by building the agenda which summarizes all the points that have been covered (I guess this should just be a tweaked verion of the plan outline that was the output of the previous meeting). Then, during the meeting, you start hanging detail off those nodes, getting buy-in at each step.

A couple tools/techniques that might be helpful:

Regardless of the tools, a lot of people will believe this process is a horrible waste of time, since you're "re-hashing" what's already been done. But I don't see (yet) an alternative, even with blue-sky maybe-they'll-invent-it-in-20-years technology.