Re: Unique vs. Generic URLs

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:3/8/1999; 4:33:24 PM
Topic:Unique vs. Generic URLs

Why make it hard for people and vertical portals to send you quality traffic?

I don't think a lot of sites understand that yet. I think too many sites (especially the more commercial ones) are still assuming that users will enter their sites from the front page (by typing in the URL, using a bookmark, or clicking on an ad banner), and use the site's own links to navigate within the site. These are the same sites that don't link to other sites for fear of losing traffic (or segregate links into a special disclaimer-laden section).

Why is this? Beats me. (I've learned just to be thankful for the clue that I have.)