Re: scriptingNews outline for 3/9/99

Author:Brian V. Hughes

The other thing to keep in mind is that MacOS X Server != MacOS X.

The big difference being in the Carbon APIs, which are the newly tuned, preemptive, reentrant versions of the same old MacOS toolbox API that we have all come to know and love. ;-> With a few modifications for those routines that needed to be completely rewritten to come up to buzz-word compliant spec.

This is, of course, why most apps are already 80%+ compliant with MacOS X, only requiring a "tune-up". Of course, if you are truly ambitious (or you already have an OpenStep codebase) you can use the "Yellow Box" APIs for your application.

It doesn't really get you any more performance than the Carbon APIs, but it does have the advantage of being portable between other OpenStep/Yellow Box environments.

And, not to try and push anything, but a Carbon compliant (Dated?;) version of Frontier 6+ would be a truly awesome thing to behold, and have all the advantages of the NT version of Frontier, but doesn't require UserLand to learn a whole new OS/API/model, or to throw out the current MacOS code. Just a tune up, most likely in the networking calls, and some memory access stuff (probably some more, I'm no expert) to get access to the great new MacOS X kernel, file system, networking, etc...

Again, this isn't a request (per se) just my own personal dream of the ideal content management system.