Re: Gnome vs. KDE vs. X

Author:Kurt Granroth
Posted:3/11/1999; 9:58:28 PM
Topic:Gnome vs. KDE vs. X

*grin*

It is hard for most Americans (myself included!) to break out of the US-centric mindset. For instance, I was writing about the lack of mindshare for KDE compared to Gnome on the kde-devel maillist list the other day. It seemed to me that all non-Linux users that followed the Linux GUI issue focused on Gnome and barely mentioned KDE.. if at all.

The overwelming response, at first, was "What are you talking about? KDE dominates in the media, in marketshare,.. in darn near everything"

At first, I was taken aback.. until I noticed that all the people that said such things were from Europe or Asia or Australia or Africa or South America... yep, every continent but North America. It turns out that the US is the *only* country where Gnome really has a major foothold -- yet *I* perceived that as "Gnome has dominant mindshare in the world!"

It's tough to think pan-nationally...