Re: Why MacOS X Server?

Author:Chuck Shotton

As for Apache, I'm not a big fan of it either. But for some reason people want Apache (probably, as you said, because it has no zero-cost competition (some people call this a "crusher app"; it's good enough and free, so there's little incentive to compete)).

That certainly worked for MacHTTP. Kept the Mac market devoid of any commercial servers until MacHTTP morphed into WebSTAR. That's also certainly the case with Apache. I doubt very much if the for-pay servers like Netscape's account for a significant percentage of the installed base anymore.

But when is Apache going to morph?