Re: Mac OS X Server Press Conference

Author:Raines Cohen
Posted:3/16/1999; 7:57:17 PM
Topic:Mac OS X Server Press Conference

DaveNet email <dave@scripting.com> wrote on 3/16/99 10:39 PM:

>Raines Cohen of NetProfessional says it doesn't run Mac software (in > the Blue Box) because they wanted good benchmarks, and the Blue Box > slows down software running on the machine. When I asked Jobs the > question, he didn't volunteer this explanation.

Thanks, Dave, but I don't have independent knowledge of this, I was just quoting from what I thought I heard Avie Tevanian say and interpreting it according to what I think I know about this thing. I'm waiting to get ahold of a G3 server to actually play with it hands-on. According to my notes [typing in the dark as they were talking on my trusty old PowerBook Duo 2300c], this is what was said:

Cnet guy: does it run any mac software? Avie: it's not designed to run client software. Q: blue box? Avie: Wait for Mac OS X client avie: the blue box is in the product [i.e. OS X Server] - but you shouldn't run desktop apps on a server because it sucks resources away from server services.

What they're really up to is marketing: positioning, making it clear that this is a server,not a Mac OS replacement, reducing expectations. It would be a lot harder for them to document and support and QA running all Mac apps... the technical piece of implementing it is just a small piece of the puzzle.

Raines (who's never claimed to be a journalist, either, but I play one on TV. ;-))

Raines Cohen <editor@netprolive.com> Editor, NetProfessional magazine <http://www.netprolive.com/> For Web developers and network administrators.