Re: The Cathedral and the Bazaar

Author:Wesley Felter
Posted:3/20/1999; 4:07:39 PM
Topic:QNX

I'd do a one-man Linux distribution if I had the hardware (because none of the existing ones suit my taste), but I don't think it's possible to make money in such a situation. The reason Red Hat makes money is not because they have a distro; it's because they make CD-ROMs, manuals, and shrink-wrapped boxes.

In than respect I don't think distributions are any different from other kinds of Open Source software. People are making money from everything but the software. The problem is that if you're writing the software, there is (probably) no time left for everything else. So the coders are always separate from the people collecting the money, necessitating a company of a certain (too large IMO) size.