Re: Canceling Web-based e-mail accounts

Author:Lixian B. Chiu
Posted:3/22/1999; 2:17:42 PM
Topic:Canceling Web-based e-mail accounts

I remember in the early days of AOL, if you cancel your account, your username will be put on hold for 60 days (or 90 days) so that no one will be able to register it during this period. (do they still do that? I haven't used AOL for a long time)

The idea is to give the user who cancelled his/her account a chance to gain access to their previous username if they later decided to reactivate his/her account.

I don't know if this is the reason why Hotmail didn't disable the account after an user sign off, but it's probably related. On the other hand, I don't think it's very difficult to disable one's Hotmail account, yet keep his/her username for a limited period of time. However, it's possible that this is just a mistake when developing the software.