Re: Sample code and utilities?

Author:Samuel Reynolds
Posted:3/29/1999; 4:30:55 PM
Topic:Sample code and utilities?

I've been working for a while (at a very low level of effort) on a software directory package for Frontier. It would provide search capabilities through keyword cross-indexing, and submissions could be made either (a) through an online, interactive form to build an OSD document, (b) through an online form to enter the URL of an OSD document on your distribution website, or (c) through an XML/RPC call to submit either an OSD document or the URL of such a document.

Why OSD? It records what I think is needed: Permanent name, version, dependencies, links to license and docs, D/L links for different versions and different platforms, etc. It also is a *lot* easier to figure out than RDF; from what I've been able to figure out, I'm not sure if RDF is sufficient to do this (not that I've been able to figure out RDF!). Of course, RDF seems to be on the way toward becoming a standard, while OSD is just a Note, but I'll use what works. :-)

My main stumbling blocks have been creating the "build-an-OSD" application (mainly time, there; the basic design is done for a JavaScript app, and this is what I'm currently working on) and the fact that I don't have a publically-accessible Frontier server available to me for testing. (I'm not ready for testing yet, though.)

I see this as an easier-to-maintain and -use replacement for DOODADS--what DOODADS should have been. If I put more effort into it, I could probably have the core it ready for test in a few (3-4?) weeks, if someone could volunteer a Frontier server for testing.