Re: An Experiment in On-Line Outlining

Author:Jerome Camus
Posted:3/31/1999; 10:31:52 PM
Topic:An Experiment in On-Line Outlining

I wonder if another approach may not be just as useful - it is definitely worth a try because it will give a different visual and thus impact the experience. My suggestion may also take some of the load off of the bandwidth problem.

Rather than have a refresh of x seconds, why not command a refresh everytime the technographer (keep in mind here that my suggestions are directly related to More commands) types in (which is fact an ), or hoist, de-hoist, move l/r/u/d, promote/demote, expand/expand all/collapse...

This reasoning is based on old central computer thinking, where the data is remotely prepared, then sent off for processing. Here it would have the typist prepare an entire proposition (or modification thereof) and broadcast it only when it is complete.

For the user it would mean seing only complete propositions (compared to the partial ones I assume Bernie & Dave see now). This may create some delay in the reading, but otherwise would also give participants clear views and reduce the opportunities of interruption as the proposition is being prepared. The only real drawback I see is that if the technographer has to drag a family down, the user cannot see this and therfore not comment upon it.

That's my thought. Then again, I believe both need to be tested as I suspect they could lead to different behaviours.