Re: Linux iMac?

Author:Eric Soroos
Posted:4/26/1999; 11:59:11 AM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

Will it really run on any Linux system or just on the x86 flavor?

I misspoke, or at least spoke too quickly. As far as I know, it's x86 only.

The back of my mind is saying that if the WINE people did things right (ie they did their coding processor independently like most linux apps) by minimizing assembly, then there's a good chance that compiling the wine libs + your app for another platform will work. (assuming that you don't have a lot of assembly)

For instance, Corel is big into Netwinders (strongarm processors, like the newton) and is supporting WINE right now. I would find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be trying to make WINE run on their computers.

They are probably the ones to talk to, or look at the WINE mailing lists or FAQ's.

eric

update I've done a bit of checking on the web, and it looks like Wine is x86 only at this point, but according to Codeweavers.com, Corel is making some real progress with it. Codeweavers does something called Twine, which is a combination/superset of Twin and Wine, and is less tied to the x86 architecture.