Re: WINE ~= Carbon?

Author:michael j lawley
Posted:4/29/1999; 9:46:20 PM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

Except that Java's 'cross-platformnesss' includes Win 95/98/NT, MacOS, and most Unicies, whereas Frontier's cross-platformness is only MacOS and Win (although the trial version I tried under NT workstation kept crashing when I tried to import my existing site but the MacOS version was fine).

BTW, the real killer with Java is not runtime speed (which is fine for most things requiring user interaction), it is memory usage. The reason for this is that the class libraries aren't shared between processes like DLLs are for traditional compiled/native code apps. One way to avoid this is to use something like echidna to run all your java apps in the one JVM.