Re: new open e-book exchange format

Author:Dino Morelli
Posted:4/30/1999; 8:34:06 PM
Topic:new open e-book exchange format

Funny that this should come up now. I recently got an ebook reader for my PilotPro, Peanut Reader from Peanut Press.

Both the reader and makebook utility (for making any text into an ebook of their format) are free. They use some kind of encryption in the makebook process to protect the book author.

There are a group of these document readers available for PalmOS. And almost all of them use their own format. Definitely some sort of standardization is needed here.

I only have 1M of ram, ~350k of which is the book I'm reading now. So I'm not too keen on having a few 30-70k reader programs loaded at once. It's a waste.

BTW, I'm almost done reading a novel on Peanut Reader. I keep my Pilot with me 24/7. It's been very cool to have the book I'm reading with me constantly, no matter where I am. Without actually lugging the book.

It's the stuff of science fiction, happening for us today. :)