Re: Some open questions for Doc Searls

Author:Doc Searls
Posted:5/3/1999; 12:03:39 PM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

Don't worry about my either/or logic. History suggests that you can't have a half geek, half non-geek magazine for ever, but you can keep it up for quite a long time.

That's true, with Byte as the most obvious case in point. But I'd like us to try. If we succeed, there are all kinds of ways we can take it.

Some of this is simple bigotry, granted.

Well, it's good-humored bigotry. More like partisanship, really.

But have you heard the popular Microsoft/Netscape phrase "eating your own dogfood"? The developers of Windows 2000 and Mozilla use the pre-release products for day-to-day tasks so that they have a real incentive to make things work. Many Linux companies will try to use Linux for the most unlikely of tasks. Quite frankly, the Linux desktop is still "dogfood"--we know this. But by trying to use it anyway, we lay pathways for less adventurous users.

I do believe this is also the idea at SSC. If it can be done, even if in a clunky way, at least try to do it. Going with Mac or PC clients would be too easy. Also too hard to support — a non-trivial concern.

Is CMYK useful to you without color correction?

I don't know. I'll get back to you on it. As others already are, I see.

Thanks!

Doc