Re: HTML support in Mac OS?

Author:Fletcher Sandbeck
Posted:5/8/1999; 11:26:54 AM
Topic:HTML support in Mac OS?

I remember discussing these very issues on the long dead Frontier users list.

In any case, I think of OpenDoc like QuickTime. If you display QuickTime, then you can display a VR document or a 3D file or a movie. The application doesn't have to know what type of movie will be displayed, they just have to provide a window through which QuickTime can play.

OpenDoc was the same thing except that any OpenDoc Editor or Viewer could display in the Window.

Have you looked at the Java tools which Apple now provides? I haven't used it, but the JManager appears to give you the ability to play Java Applets in any application. Is there a Java based HTML renderer which you could instantiate?

<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/java/MacOSandJava/JManager/JManager.html>

Combined with the Apple Applet Runner, this could give you some of what you want.

[fletcher]