Re: HTML support in Mac OS?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/8/1999; 4:09:11 PM
Topic:HTML support in Mac OS?

This is only the case if the platform is actually *ready* for evangelism. Which means working, shipping products, not presentation slides, simulations, and demos on suped-up hardware.

Good point, and I totally agree.

But understand that product managers and engineers report up a chain of command, and sometimes that chain of command is dishonest, so they run with the slide shows as if it's a real product, and that gets the zealots going and so on. There's tremendous pressure not to blow the whistle, even among outsiders. You can still see it years later when people blame me for the demise of OpenDoc. All I did was say it was vaporware and of course choose to sit it out (which didn't really make me very special).

The moral of the story, when deciding if a platform is real or not, see what developers are supporting it, and how enthusiastic they are and if they're shipping anything yet or just talking about it too.