Re: Scripting News XML DTD/Parsing Issues

Author:Matt Hamer
Posted:5/18/1999; 6:37:16 AM
Topic:Scripting News XML DTD/Parsing Issues

Namepsaces might be a better long term solution, but some parsers don't have "built in" support yet. Even more problematic: browsers don't yet understand namespaces (at least not the one I'm using ;), but they can interpret well formed, XML compatible HTML.

A brwoser understands (I hope I get my escaping right...)

But not...

AFAIK, no mechanism has been defined to allow use of namespaces in DTD definitions either. How do I restrict the Scripting News http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/> After all, there are only a few (I'm assuming that we're limited to the same tags allowed within this discussion framework: a, b, blockquote, br, i, img, li, ol, pre, table, td, tr, ul), and their content models are unlikely to change any time in the near future.

Technically, there isn't anything wrong with the current DTD, but it introduces a practical problem for processing software.

What I propose is, fortunately, completely backward compatible with the existing DTD.