Re: Scripting News XML DTD/Parsing Issues

Author:Matt Hamer
Posted:5/18/1999; 8:00:47 AM
Topic:Scripting News XML DTD/Parsing Issues

You're right, this is the simplest solution!

In the case of the Scripting News format, it may be the right one.

A couple of comments about using a CDATA section...

1. Since it isn't parsed, well-formedness+validity can't be checked (without using a "sub-parser" to parse the character data within text).

We wouldn't be able to catch the fact that We also can't restrict tags to a subset of HTML.

2. It implicitly "says" that markup within the text element isn't really part of the "scripting news format". Maybe it isn't.

I'm sure that this debate has happened sometime on XML-DEV. I'll check the archives.

Ulitmately, I guess, it is up to Dave/Userland to decide. With or without a DTD modification, it still requires a change to the script that generates xScriptingNews.xml.