Re: Using the DG framework for something other than DGs...

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:5/22/1999; 9:27:43 PM
Topic:Things we learned from BucksWoodside.Com

I don't think the basic structure of discuss.root or members.root are going to change much.

That's a key point. Neither of those are going to change. At that level our work is compatible, so new stuff we add later will work with anything you do and anything we do, and hopefully anything anyone else does.

Actually in the last week we've done a lot of work on mainResponder.discuss. All of it has been done with optional params that default to the original behavior.

We can also do a lot, in the future, by allowing overrides thru the pagetable. It's like anything else, it has to sink in, the dust has to settle before we rock the boat. This time around I think we have a solid foundation for the ultimate goal of movement without breakage.

We're learning, all of us. I'm glad you're getting the benefit of the DG software. I can tell you this much, as the next level is shaping up, I am very pleased with the tools I have to work with. I have been editing Scripting News in a web browser for months now, probably about six. I just trained a web authoring neophyte to write using the web browser. Saw lots of braincells burnt! (Some of mine too.) We're getting another site ready now, this one came together in two days, instead of a month. The third one will be two hours and by the time we do the fourth one (maybe the fifth) it will be automatic and completely browser-based. And that will hook into the workstation product, which is now functional, and the web writing environment will never be the same!