Re: Discuss group storage weak for reflecting site structure

Author:Tommy Sundström
Posted:5/27/1999; 12:39:31 PM
Topic:Site-storage of the future

The structure looks like htmlInterfaces with a few 'traditional' Frontier pages (/faq , /restaurant) + a discuss.root stored flat list of stories.

This structure can be quite ok for a smaller site.

But for a big site, with a lot of departments with slightly different looks etc, I think the 'traditional' Frontier style is more natural.

Best of both worlds

I suspect there is no real problem here. I experimented some with the discuss group scripts, and came to this:

It's quite easy to store the messages (ie the tables that carry content and info about a page) in a traditional hierarchy. The scripts can easily be changed so that they use the odb address, instead of a number, when identifying messages. So the functionality of the discussion group scripts is kept.