Re: Why is it Called Manila?

Author:Richard Sucgang
Posted:5/27/1999; 6:45:49 PM
Topic:Why is it Called Manila?

Ah...ok, I know it is just a code word, and it really doesn't mean anything, and maybe I am going to drift off topic...BUT, as someone born in Manila, I think I should make a couple of points:

1. I do believe it is always spelled with one L.

2. And the proper pronounciation does NOT rhyme with vanilla. Maybe in American parlance, but given the very international nature of the internet, perhaps some sensitivity would be nice. The correct pronounciation is MAH-nee-lah, with the middle syllable actually sounding a lot like 'knee'.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound off like an overly sensitive zealot - just wanted to pitch my two cents in....