Re: Office 2000

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:6/7/1999; 12:32:25 PM
Topic:Office 2000

Not only do they look terrible, the HTML is terrible too... a total mess.

I tried a Save as HTML with Word 2000 (preview release) a few months back. The HTML it made was completely riddled with CSS and XML. A simple one pager became a 25KB document. The page didn't look well AT ALL in Netscape 4, although it looked half-decent in IE4. Looking at the HTML it was pretty clear that it was totally groomed for IE5.

When someone gives me a word file, I:

Select All

Copy

In Frontier, I paste the code into a WP-Text object,

In the QuickScript window, I execute:

wp.setText("

" + string.replaceAll(wp.getText(), "\r\n\r\n", "

\r\r

") + "

")

Select All

Copy

Paste into Dreamweaver

Re-Apply the necessary styles (bold, headings, italics, colours, etc)

Convert to 3.x

Select All (HTML)

Copy

Paste back into Frontier

Remove everything outside (and including) the BODY tag.

Needless to say, I really appreciate it when people give me plain text to work with :-)

Jim