Re: Unix and Email Viruses

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/15/1999; 5:49:01 PM
Topic:Unix and Email Viruses

We also know that people will execute any email attachment that is sent to them if the email tells them to execute it and the sender is someone who is trusted. This is one of the most insidious aspects of the latest type of email virus. It appears that a trusted individual is asking you to execute this program. Sure, we are wary of such things, but is the average individual?

Absolutely not.

Does Gosling think Linux and Solaris are realistic alternatives? He should meet a real Windows user and stop blaming him or her for not caring that much about computers to get to know the beauty and elegance of Unix. Some people just like to use email and the web, take a few pictures, play some games. We can't all be Unix geeks.