Re: InfoWorld's redesign: Linkrot heaven

Author:Lawrence Lee
Posted:6/19/1999; 9:48:51 PM
Topic:InfoWorld's redesign: Linkrot heaven

In the "lets make it worse" department, I've also just found out that InfoWorld's search engine treats everything on the archive.infoworld.com site as if it was in a separate universe.

So if you do a search at InfoWorld for an old article about Jakob Nielsen you'll get 0 hits. But if you do the exact same search at archive.infoworld.com you get 9 hits.

Essentially, they've engineered a redesign that not only breaks thousands of inbound links but they've even ruined their search engine by hiding all the articles in their archive.

Q&A with Jakob Nielsen at InfoWorld:

"Almost all initial Web sites are bad, and I'd say about 90 percent of the Web sites out there are bad in terms of the user experience. They are not delivering what people want, making it difficult to do the things people want, and so people are turning away in disgust. User experience is going to be the most important factor that determines a company's success in the Internet age."

InfoWorld: From August 26, 1998; Jakob Nielsen plans to improve usability of the Web