WORLD WIDE WEB!

Author:todd@polygon.net
Posted:6/20/1999; 11:39:55 AM
Topic:ScriptingNews 2.0b1 Comments

As the tech architect of a new language translation company with an eye towards translating content feeds on the internet into multiple languages, let me thank you for including the language tag.

Let me also encourage folks to always use the encoding tag in the . UCS2 is unicode. For 8-bit european languages, please use ISO-8859-1. Without the encoding, knowing the language is nearly useless. In fact, to render content correctly, a browser needs to know the language, and encoding, then select a compatible font based on these.

In the future, I hope to lobby for language markup that allows for multi-lingual content on a single page. Until that happens, multi-lingual web content has to make heavy use of images and frames to display the alternate language.

I'm happy to discuss internationalization issues on the web with people looking to provide multi-lingual content. tblanchard@etranslate.com