Re: XML in Director

Author:woodj@ucalgary.ca
Posted:7/9/1999; 10:00:28 AM
Topic:scriptingNews outline

Yes, I think you're right on here. We have so many Director projects going on here where a lot of the data is stored in text files, and everybody makes their own little way of storing the text so it can be retrieved and parsed. I've been using the XML feature since it first appeared, and it really is great for this purpose.

There are however, as you mentioned, lots of methods missing from the XML object that is created. These were written easily enough in Lingo, but the two major grievances that I have is that the parser chokes on entities (of any type) and it doesn't understand UTF-8 or 16 (making the use of higher ascii characters difficult). This means I have to pre-filter my text in order for the parser to work, and then filter again after to get the display correct. Despite these *huge* deficiencies, I still use it and advocate it's use in all our projects (luckily most are in English).

-- Julian