Re: threads and mR (mainresponder)

Author:Thomas A. Creedon
Posted:8/3/1999; 6:57:10 PM
Topic:threads and mR (mainresponder)

This is a snippet from the Scriptmeridian Community digest. Just popping it in here for future reference and as a diagnotic aid.

[stuff deleted]

Subject: MR: 404 leaves extra thread hanging?
From: DJ Feldmeyer <djf@gol.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:15:26 +0900

In my fledgling attempts to get mainResponder working, I get a lot of 404s and 500s. After producing these, I notice that there's an extra thread running in Frontier that won't quit. Trying to kill the thread or quit Frontier while the thread is running can cause a lock-up, in both WinNT and MacOS8.6.

Is anyone seeing something similar? Is there a way to avoid this (apart from scoping out the whole MR thing and stop producing 404s and 500s)?

cheers, dj

[stuff deleted]

I've been having a threads won't die problem that often kills Frontier on quitting. I'm on Mac OS 8.6, Frontier 6 with latest updates on a G3.

The only thing I've been able to figure out so far is that the threads seem to be spawned by users accessing my websites. I'll check to see if they are getting the errors you mention to see if it's the same problem.

Dave Winer asked me if I had any agents or scheduled scripts running. I've not been able to determine if this is my problem. You may want to look in this area also.