Re: Yusuf Mehdi on Instant Messaging

Author:John Robb
Posted:8/5/1999; 1:33:09 PM
Topic:Yusuf Mehdi on Instant Messaging

AOL would be stupid to actually cooperate with Microsoft et. al. on the IETF proposal. Why? They are about to get jammed by the bandwidth monopolists in cable. If they don't have control of consumer messaging, I don't think they will survive the transition. In effect, they would become another CSP, which in cable-speak means "content service provider." However, would I like to see an open system? Yes, of course, but I don't think it would happen.