Re: SDK or not

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:8/5/1999; 6:02:29 PM
Topic:Yusuf Mehdi on Instant Messaging

Where to draw the line? Do you call writing a Javascript programming? If so then we are in agreement.

On the integration of IM into HTML, yes, a special protocol or tag would be cool. Something like . Of course that level of encapsulation would be cool for authors.

However, we're not there yet. We need to open up this clam shell and are arguing at the implementation level, whether we need an SDK or only a wire protocol.

The major issue with SDK versus wire protocol is that if I get an SDK then I am stuck, I have to use theirs. If the wire protocol is available then I can write my own 'SDK'.

Closure?