Re: AOL-M$ : Shame on IM !

Author:David Valentine
Posted:8/7/1999; 10:25:47 AM
Topic:AOL-M$ : Shame on IM !

Let's see, who is to blame?

MS has been told by AOL that they do not want the MSN MESS program accessing thier system via undocumented protocols.

MSN Mess updates itself, usually to work around said problem.

SOLUTION: MS should use the automatic update to disable the AOL accesing features.

My observations:

It's two multi-billion dollar babies having a spat. This is a lose-lose situation.

MSN got tossed off my system when one of the updates asked to reboot the computer. What piece of system software MS updating that required a reboot? (seems like the www.windows2000test.com gets rebooted, all too often).

MSN mess is a too bit intrusive for my taste. I like IM when I want it. Not all the time. MSN mess started up with outlook, and stayed up. There was no way to disable this behavior in the version I had. Invisible is really not the feature I want. On/Off when I say so is.

MS has not provided a way to acees the exchange IM services. MS should make the first "opening" move. I think they miscalcuated the communities response. If we say open, eveyone will back us.