Did marketing mandate the new MS APIs?

Author:Paul L. Bruno
Posted:8/11/1999; 6:37:47 PM
Topic:Microsoft's new APIs

ASP: deep link to dictionary.com

A poisonous snake. How appropriate.

Reading the news about the new APIs, I was disturbed by the way Roskill presents the reasons, it appears that these new tools are coming at the order of marketing -- they've saturated the market for windows developers is what he says first, then comes the part about simplifying the job for developers.

I can give him the benefit of the doubt and say that's just the way I'm reading it, or it was written that way, or he even misspoke. Still, there's this nagging feeling I get that I'm reading it correctly...

So Visual Studio goes to version 7. These major version numbers for VS (5.0, 6.0, 7.0) are coming fast and furious -- whatever happened to minor version numbers? Why bother with the decimal at all? And why not put a year on it like the rest of the product line? (Or do they come out too frequently and would have to have months?) I'm confused.