Re: A by-product of archiving in XML

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:8/15/1999; 9:36:45 AM
Topic:A by-product of archiving in XML

I don't understand completely what this has to do with XML, but I am concerned about another point: the statement that you back up the DB completely every night.

This is classic DB stuff. There are many techniques that don't require you to write the DB completely to back-up. The idea is to face off cost for risk. For example, on day 1, 11, 21, ... you take a complete back-up and on days 2, 3, 4, .. 12, 13, 14, .. you take differential back-ups based on the latest complete back-up. There are excellent Linux tools (such as diff, cmp, and patch) which can help you do this on a per-message base, or I can imagine a Frontier tool that did a diff on two outlines.

The advantages are obvious: because the differential back-ups are so small, you can afford to stash away many copies of each in different places, so even Murphy cant get them all. And because you make fewer big back-ups, you can also afford to make several copies and protect it better.